Friday, December 16, 2005

Near Perfect Trail Run, last night.

First of all, I have today off!!! I had to burn my last vacation day, or lose it.
On my agenda:
I already worked-out in the gym for 1-1/2 hours. I'm going to eat an early lunch. I'm going to take my dog with me to WyCo park and do some "adjusting" to the new singletrack trails. I'll do my "secret Christmas shopping" today. I'm also going to take care of a couple of home maintenance items. That's it.

Last night, we had a very nice run on the BuRP trails. It was windy, but once we were in the woods it was fine. The moon was high and bright, and gave an assist to our lights in the less-wooded areas. The mud from the previous week's snow and rain was frozen on top, but soft below. It was at the point where it was soft but not mushy or sticky, so the trail was fast. There were 4 of us. We took it easy and just talked and ran. An hour and 10 minutes just raced by, and we finished feeling refreshed.
Mike suggested we go have a beer and possibly a meal at 75th Street Brewery, and James and I happily complied. (I knew my wife was in a bad mood and baking goodies at home for work, and I felt it wise to stay out of her way). I ended up just having beer and leaving James and Mike there, waiting for food. Jason and his girlfriend showed up later and I missed them.
I ended up watching Comedy Central until midnight, knowing that I didn't have to wake up real early this morning.

Homebrew post:
My Imperial Rye IPA is still fermenting like crazy, and it's been 13 days in the primary fermenter. I'm waiting for it to drop off, so I can transfer it into the secondary for a couple of weeks of conditioning. This is the most steadily-vigorous and long-lasting fermentation that I have ever experienced in almost 2 decades of homebrewing. It had better taste like heaven. By the way, I used a starter of approximately 200 billion yeast cells for the 10-gallon batch, (Wyeast #1056).

This weekend, I'm going to work on a slightly-revised version of my Triple Chocolate Porter recipe. I think that would be a fun one to brew next week. The last one I brewed took top honors in a national homebrewing contest, the first contest that I've ever entered. I use Scharffen Berger unsweetened cocoa, chocolate rye malt, and chocolate barley malt in the recipe. With all of the flavanoids and melanoids, it's gotta good for your heart and blood pressure, right?

3 comments:

Johnny Lyons said...

Your runs sound great out there. You seem to have lots of unpaved hilly courses to choose from. Tucson is pretty split; lots of pavement or lots of technical mountain trails. Not much in between. I feel like I get a beating either way.

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Sounds like an interesting beer. Best of both worlds - chocolate and beer.

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Johnny,
We have a few good parks with some decent technical trails. I make the best of it and schedule group trail runs four times per week. I've actually set up a web site and a related group web site for this purpose: http://www.psychowyco.com
I try not to ever run on pavement.