Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Bitterly Cold Trail Running


The run last night was fairly cold. We were in the woods on some nice singletrack trail, so the minus 4F windchill wasn't a factor. Six of us headed out, but Jason fell within the first mile and biffed his knee. He walked back to his car to go home and lick his wounds. The other five of us did two 5-mile loops in a fairly decent time.
I got home and fully expected to take a hot soak and eat some dinner. Instead, I got a call from my daughter. She had a flat tire and also had my grandson in the car with her. When I got there, my pump couldn't pump up her tire because the bead was off of the rim. Sooooo, I ended up heading back home to get a spare winter tire for her Saturn and changing said tire. (I didn't want her to drive on a spare donut tire in the snow). By the time I got home (around 9:30 pm), I was thoroughly chilled. I finally had my hot soak and dinner, and all was right with the world again. Question: Am I enabling my 25-yo daughter, or just being a decent dad? Background: I still pay for her cellphone, and will probably pay for her tire repairs today. Her Significant Other is a real nice guy, but can't change a tire or respond correctly to any car or household mechanical issues. I dunno. I may be a real sap. By the way, his dad does the same for him.
The weather today is supposed to be fairly brutal. For wellness today, I'm going to hit the gym after work and do my weight workout with about 1/2 hour on the stair treadmill.

2 comments:

Hey Zeus said...

Real parents are parents for life. I have no plans on stopping when my kid hits 18 or 21 or whatever the age. I know people that would give their left arm to their kids to have them back in their lives.

Ben, aka BadBen said...

You're right! My son likes to hang out with me for at least one night per week and one day per weekend. We're best friends and he's 23. My daughter knows she can always depend on me. I picked her up at the tire store today, and we sat and chatted over coffee at Starbucks.
Yeah, I'm very lucky.