Monday, December 05, 2005

An Action-packed Weekend


Time for a lunchtime post!
Saturday the trail construction went very well. Five people and one dog (Winston) showed up and we hit it pretty hard. The goal was to get to the end of the new section and worry about the detail work later. We got to the end as planned, but far surpassed our goal and got a lot of the sections tweaked into "runnability" just fine. So we now have an extra mile and a half of single track on the Psycho WyCo course! For Saturday's work, special thanks to Good Ben, Alison, Jason, Kyle, and Winston. We will be doing some more detail work later, but it is already pretty impressive.

That night I had my company holiday party. It was held at a fancy hotel (downtown). We had a pretty good time doing the "dress-up" party thang. It was first class all the way. The food was wonderful, and there was a band and an open bar. I always have to break the cardinal rule, ("never drink more than your boss"), because my boss doesn't drink. My rules for not getting into trouble: I try to be more reserved & quiet than normal, and I always leave about two hours into the event. I usually have to be filled-in the next day about the idiots who started dancing on tables or got loud and obnoxious. I miss all of that BS, thank goodness. The hotel had a lot of additional security because the Denver Broncos were staying there. Those guys are big...only 3 can fit into an elevator at a time.

The next morning came quick. Of course, after all of our trailwork effort on Saturday, we just had to run on the same trails on Sunday. It was 15 degrees F on Sunday morning when the four of us started running. The ground was as hard as concrete, but there was plenty of traction. The new section was schweet to run on. The new switchbacks and altitude loss/gains are great. We only did one 10-mile loop; there were no takers for a second loop. We all had our own busy day ahead.

I got home, had a nice hot soak in the bathtub and took my lovely wife to breakfast. We stopped by the hardware store for additional Christmas lights, furnace filters, and other sundries. When I got home I performed about 2 hours of chores and then got on with my homebrewing. Greg showed up. He brought a couple of homebrewed beers to try; one that was crap (and he knew it was and wanted me to critique it), and a bottle of imperial stout. The imperial stout was good, but I would put it more in the domain of a "Baltic Porter" style. I had the Chiefs/Broncos game on in the garage while I brewed. Multi-tasking at its best! The Chiefs won, by the way.

Today I'll do my weightlifting and cardio workout after work. (I had to come in early this morning to train some contractors). This evening I need to hunker-down and do some of my Track Club duties.

2 comments:

Julie B said...

Hey Ben, you will reach those '07 goals! Hardrock; ouch. I have two friends that have run Hardrock the last 8 years and FINISHED each and every one! They run the ski hills here all weekend long..6-8 hours a day. Guess that's what it takes. Yikes :)

Julie B said...

Hey Ben, you will reach those '07 goals! Hardrock; ouch. I have two friends that have run Hardrock the last 8 years and FINISHED each and every one! They run the ski hills here all weekend long..6-8 hours a day. Guess that's what it takes. Yikes :)