Thursday, December 15, 2005

Barefoot Runners: I'll Get You Slimed



Well, I put the offer out there to any barefoot runners. This is the e-mail that I sent out:
_____________________

I'll comp a FREE ENTRY (including free event shirt, support, and food) to any barefoot runner that will START AND FINISH either the 10, 20, or 31 mile events at my "Psycho WyCo" trail event on Feb 11th, 2006, as long as they run it truly barefoot. Honest.
I know that trail runs in the Winter are not most runner's cup of tea, whether shod or not, but it would be cool to have some unshod representation at this grueling event.
Put the word out to any of the "Toe Slappers" that might be interested. Link for race. Be sure that they read the race report (with photos and results). Our finish rate last year was just over 50% for the 50K.
They can fill out the snail mail version of the entry form, circle the distance, and put in bold letters at the top, "Free: Psycho-Tough Barefoot Runner."
I will also add a special Barefoot Runner Awards Division, this year.
Sincerely,
Bad Ben
______________________

I hope I get some takers. It would be the Shiznight!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am not a barefoot runner, but if I lived in the area I might take you up on your offer. I am always looking for a way to get free entry with goodies as well. I can picture myself tip toeing along the rocks right now like I am stepping on hot pavement.

Ben, aka BadBen said...

It's a tough little race, even for folks with shoes. Loose and impeded sharp rocks, deep mud, roots, and 14 hills per 10-mile loop that are 200-220' tall. There are numerous other hills, as well, some as steep as 20% grade. There is also a fair share of off-canter single track.
Of course, the weather can be a factor that time of year, too.

Mark said...

yeah, it sounds cool but i am thinking i'd have to do some pretty heavy conditioning to do something like this. it took me six months to run on pavement really really comfortably and this is a whole other kettle of fish. there is a guy called barefoot ted who'd do this in a heartbeat. he's run up and down Mt. Whitney. Here is the link to his blog: http://www.barefootted.com/

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Thanks, I've heard of Ted and his exploits. I'll send him an invite.

Hey Zeus said...

Keep us up to date if you get a taker.

Johnny Lyons said...

I only wish I was close enough. I'm always outside barefoot with my son Ash and we love it! If your trails were right I'd try it. I don't really know if I could finish and definitely wouldn't be quick, but probably fun. An outlandish outfit would have to accompany the lack of shoes I imagine.