Friday, November 11, 2005

Craft Beer Post

When I get home from work and done with everything today, I'm going to enjoy a small bottle of Duchesse De Bourgogne. It's a Flanders Red Ale brewed by Brouwerij Verhaeghe in Belgium. This oak-aged beer is so good, it should have a song written for it to the tune of "Mickey, you're so fine" something like this: "Yum, yum, it's so fine, hey Duchesse, hey Duchesse!"
Speaking of Belgians:
I have a Belgian Tripel that I just jacked-up the final fermentation temperature on, to attenuate it some more. I should be able to drink it in a week, when I get back from Texas. It's the first batch in my new stainless steel fermenter. Here's a photo and story about that. I've since added an electrically-heated wrap, because I keep the temp of my house between 63 - 66 degrees during the cooler months. That's too low for proper (Belgian ale) fermentation.

4 comments:

Bolder said...

sweet set up brewmeister!

for those of us not fluent in Belgian, how would your current brew compare with something commercial like a Leffe Blonde/Brown of a Hoegarten?

p.s. i'm in microbrew heaven here in Boulder... current fav is Hazed and Confused which is an "unfiltered dry-hopped ale hazed in its natural state, and infused with Crystal and Centennial hops"... more info at BoulderBeer.com... it's kind of a fun web-site if you have time on your hands while your sippin' that Belgian home brew!

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Duchesse De Bourgogne is a completely different type/style of beer. It is very complex and wine-like. The brown would be closer than Leffe.
I like Hazed and Infused, also. It's on tap in a couple of places around town. I make my own version, with my own homegrown (fresh) hops, this time of year.

Bolder said...

Hmmm... so, if I like Hazed and Infused -- do I have good taste in beer? I've always wondered, because my fav commercial beer is Sam Adams, and no one else I know likes it... of course, I'm Canadian, so that may have something to do with it... when I spent time in Boston/Cambridge they'd throw you out of the bar for not ordering a Sams...

impressed that you grow your own hops too!

Ben, aka BadBen said...

You have good taste. If you said, "I only drink Molson or Bud" I would think otherwise.

There is nothing wrong with Sam Adams. It's a consistently good beer. I'll order it, especially at an airport or in a small town that has no local brews to sample.

Some "Style Nazis" in the beer world will push the point that it doesn't lock-step into a certain style of beer correctly, or that it is contract-brewed at large breweries. So they poo-poo it and say it's not a "good beer." Tough crap. If it tastes good and has interesting attributes, it's a good beer!
Enjoy your Sam Adams!