Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Fast, Fun Trail Run

Last night, 10 Trail Nerds showed up to run in the woods at SM Park. Some of the new trails are finally open, and it makes for some great trail loops.

I led the group and was looking-out for snakes, because our last 2 Tuesday night runs here yielded Copperhead sightings. We did the first 4.7-mile loop in 45 minutes. (We had a newbie with us that has poor night vision, and we ran to her pace). On the 2nd loop, we hit it hard from the get-go. We were really cruising...we finished it in 35 minutes! That's at least 2-minutes per mile faster.

It's amazing to me how much your "proprioception" develops from running after-dark on trails. You can read about it in this great article.

Caleb and Kyle had run at least one loop before we started. They are in great shape. Kyle will be running a 50-miler with me on May 27th, and should do very well. Caleb is just darn fast. Caleb proved this recently on two pavement runs: he won the hilly Corporate Challenge 5K last Saturday in 16:37, and he also won the Heart & Sole 10K on the previous weekend in 34:11.

9 comments:

Olga said...

Are you not using any lights? I did dark morning runs in the winter, and it was lsow, indeed, yet fun, and it does develop a sixth sense:)

Ben, aka BadBen said...

No, we use lights. We also run at daytime speeds (or faster).

E-Speed said...

your night trail runs sound like a blast. I think this summer I may try to do a night trail run at Mohican. Looking forward to it!

Sarah said...

Good article. I see you're running the Mt Hood PCT 50M in July. I'm considering the 50K, but I'm still a newbie so it may be too soon for me after my marathon in June.

Lora said...

I've been reading about your night runs....I'm going to have to find some nutty folks around me to accompany me. Gosh, I'm loving this stuff....are we nuts or is the rest of the world just boring????

Ben, aka BadBen said...

We aren't nuts. We just know how to have a good time.

Anonymous said...

Oh no....you are nuts! Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hi. Your a long way from Spokane....I got tired just reading your blog. I'm way slow compared to you and your buds - but I have a good time doing it usually :)
Toodles
Kitty

Jeff said...

BadBen, Thanks for your encouragement and stopping by my blog. I have at least three more trail runs this year and I love it. Thanks again.

animixplay mod apk said...

Hemos hecho una selección de Guantes de Boxeo para que puedes ganar anillos de oro y hemos elegido los mejores guantes de Boxeo calidad precio del mercado, los materiales que tienen nuestros guantes de boxeo son de una calidad duradera. Tenemos guantes de boxeo con cordones para clientes que lo necesiten.